THE CHRISTMAS NOVENA

Sixth day of the Christmas Novena

SIXTH DAY - DECEMBER 21

GOD'S MERCY REVEALED IN HIS COMING DOWN FROM HEAVEN TO SAVE US


Meditation

See Him as a weak, newborn infant, wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger. Unable to move or feed Himself, He has need of Mary to give Him a little milk to sustain His life.

Or see Him again in Pilate's courtyard, tied with fast bonds to a column and there scourged from head to foot. Behold Him on the way to Calvary, falling down from weakness under weight of the cross that He must carry. Finally behold Him nailed to this tree of shame, on which He breathes His last amid pain and anguish. Because Jesus Christ wished that His love for us should win all the love of our hearts for Himself, He would not send an angel to redeem us, but chose to come Himself, to save us by His Passion and death. Had an Angel been our Redeemer, men would have had to divide their hearts in loving God as their Creator and an angel as their redeemer; but God, who desires men's whole hearts, as He was already their Creator, wished also to be their Redeemer.

Let us pray…

O my Dear Redeemer! Where should I be now, if You had not borne with me so patiently, but had called me from life while I was in the state of sin? Since You hast waited for me till now, forgive me quickly, O my Jesus, before death finds me still guilty of so many offenses that I have committed against You. I am so sorry for having vilely despised You, my sovereign God, that I could die of grief. But You cannot abandon a soul that seek You.

If hitherto I have forsaken You, I now seek You and love You. Yes, my God, I love You above all else; I love You more than myself. Help me, Lord, to love You always during the rest of my life. Nothing else do I seek of You. But this I beg of You, this I hope to receive from You.

Mary, my hope, do thou pray for me. If you pray for me, I am sure of grace. Amen.

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…

No comments

Powered by Blogger.